Friday, December 31, 2010

champagne macarons


For New Years, I wanted to make something with champagne in it, since champagne is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of celebrating the New Year.  I tossed around ideas for a cupcake with champagne frosting, or adding champagne to the cupcake itself, but in the end I decided to make champagne macarons (since making macarons has been a recent addiction of mine).


I made the macaron shells golden yellow, but plain (I've decided that I don't like to flavor my shells - after tasting the chocolate macarons that I made for Christmas, I realized that the extra flavor drowned out the taste of the almonds in the cookie, which I love).


For the filling, I added some champagne to my standard buttercream, but after whipping it together, I noticed that the it looked slightly foamy.  Did the champagne curdle it?  I almost threw it out and was about to start over, but decided to taste it first.  The buttercream was light, airy, and had the slightest mildest champagne flavor to it.  And the foamy-ness reminded me of champagne bubbles!  So I went with it.


Hope you have a happy New Year!!!

11 comments:

  1. Just found your site and blown away by your talent! These macarons look like they came straight out of a magazine! A follower now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing! Where is the recipe?! I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your macarons look AH-mazing!! i know you don't like posting other people's recipes but I hope one day you'll post a macaron recipe... I tried making macarons once but they didnt turn out so great.. I think I over mixed? and i didnt age my egg whites.. i'm still a bit intimidated but one day I'll try again... >.<

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jeremy and @Suiling Kwong - sure! the recipe is from pierre herme's book, which is in french, but send me an email and i'll send you my loose translation of the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! champagne macarons! that's an awesome idea

    Sweet Sarah french macarons and more
    sweetsarahshop.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. What is that mat looking thing which you put in your baking tray? It looks like things that professional chefs use...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous - it's a silpat. i like using it for baking macarons because the macaron shells slide right off!
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008T960/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=iheartbaking-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00008T960
      or you could always use parchment paper as well :)

      Delete
  7. My God, these are amazing, they are so cute that I could not even think about eating them, food should not be this adorable. Lovely post, keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  8. hola, me podrias pasar la receta mi mail es eze.sanchez@hotmail.com.ar!!!!!

    ReplyDelete