Monday, May 16, 2011

hydrangea cupcakes - lemon cupcakes with lemon cream cheese frosting


When I saw this post on I Am Baker's hydrangea cake, I immediately wanted to make it, except in cupcake form!  With Mother's Day coming up, as well as Teacher Appreciation Week at Matthew's preschool (I had signed up to make a dessert for the luncheon), it was the perfect opportunity to make them.


I went to my Martha Stewart "Cupcakes" book for a lemon cupcake recipe.  The recipe calls for lemon zest as well as lemon juice, for lots of lemony flavor.  The cupcakes turned out super fragrant, moist, and soft.


For the frosting, I made a basic cream cheese frosting and also added some lemon zest and a tiny bit of lemon juice.  Once the cupcakes were cool, I piped the lemon cream cheese frosting on the cupcakes in my signature basketweave design.


Then made a batch of buttercream frosting (which I divided in thirds and then colored  pink, lavendar, and purple) to pipe on as flowers.  I thought they turned out pretty cute, but not as impressive as a cake.  So maybe one of these days I'll try making the cake too!


Hope everyone had a great Mother's Day!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my, those cupcakes look so nice
    and yummy too ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these look fabulous!!! Love how you decorated them so perfectly...lovely and springy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautifull!!!!You have fairy hands to decorate...

    Kisses,
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! I love lemon cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the basket weave on the bottom - and those little flowers are just darling. The colour scheme of the whole thing is perfect for mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! The basket weave and flower design is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete