Sunday, May 17, 2015

elmo cupcakes


My youngest baby is obsessed with Elmo. To the point where he has to sleep with two Elmo dolls every night. "Two ... Ehmo", he says, if you only hand him one doll. And every morning he has to watch Elmo before school. And if there is a scene that Elmo is not in, he will repeatedly say "Ehmo ... Ehmo ... Ehmo ..." until I fast forward to a scene that Elmo is in. That is how much he loves Elmo.

So, in addition to the rainbow fruits layer cake that I made for his 2nd birthday this year, I also *had* to make Elmo cupcakes for his class party at daycare! I've made Elmo goodies for my other two kids in the past - Elmo cookies, Elmo cake, and also these Elmo cupcakes where I piped Elmo cupcake toppers with royal icing ahead of time. Even an Elmo ice cream cake (wow, was that really 4 years ago?!). This time I wanted to pipe Elmo directly on the cupcake, and I couldn't wait for Micah to see!


I started by making chocolate cupcakes (recipe in my new book, The Hello Kitty Baking Book!). Once baked and cooled, I whipped up a batch of cream cheese frosting, and piped Elmo's eyes with a large round tip.


Next I used orange frosting to pipe his nose, also using a large round tip.


Next I piped the eyeballs and mouth with black frosting, using a small round tip (Wilton tip #3).


And finally, I filled in his face with red frosting using a medium star tip (Wilton #16).


Two dozen cupcakes later, I was done!


I couldn't wait to see the look on Micah's face when he saw them!


Here are some of the photos I took on my phone to document his Elmo cupcake encounter :)




And finally, a video so you can see how happy he was to be eating his Elmo cupcake :)


Happy birthday my little Micah! Love you so much!!!

4 comments:

  1. that is so beautifull!! amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a awesome recipe. Your elmo cupcakes recipe looks very delicious especially with fresh toppings, it attracts me. My kids will surely love this recipe, good for our birthday party next month. I am excited to make this for my family.Can't wait to taste it and share this to my friends. Thanks for this pretty amazing recipe.This is what I need this summer. Great!

    ReplyDelete