Sunday, November 13, 2016

wedding dress cookies with brush embroidery lace



A few months ago, an old friend of mine from college (hi, Kym!) was planning a bridal shower for a mutual friend from college (hi, Cora!), and she asked me to make wedding dress cookies for the bridal shower favors. I had actually been wanting to make wedding dress cookies for quite some time, so I happily accepted! Kym was nice enough to order me a brand new wedding dress cookie cutter from Etsy, one that matched the strapless trumpet-style wedding dress that Cora was going to wear on her wedding day.


For the cookies, I made a few batches of my trusty sugar cookie dough (recipe in my book!), and used my beautiful new cutter to cut out the shapes. After baking them at 350F for 10-12 minutes and then cooling them, I was ready to decorate with royal icing (recipe also in the book!).


First I used a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip to pipe stiff icing to outline each dress. (This helps to keep in the runny icing that you are about to fill them with!)


Then I used runny icing to fill them in, and let them dry for several hours.


Kym sent me a picture of Cora's wedding dress, which was covered in lace, so Kym and I decided that I would replicate that with some sort of lace design on the dress.  I immediately thought of these brush embroidery teapot cookies I had done a while back, and used the same technique to add a lacy design to the dress. I basically outlined my lace pattern with stiff icing ...


.. and then I used a food-safe brush to drag the wet icing into the center of the design.


I also added a lacy design to the bottom of the dress, and a beaded border to the bodice of the dress.



I loved how they turned out!


I think it would be so fun to recreate wedding dresses in cookie form, so I'm going to have to do more soon!

 


Happy Bridal Shower, Cora!


Hope everyone enjoyed the cookies!


1 comment: